I’ve been a Picasa user for many years, but recently something has happened to where MP4 files will only play sound. After doing some research I learned some things that didn’t work and some things that did work. In the end I had to go one step further than any info I found.
MP4 files would only play sound inside of Picasa and all of their icons were black.
I verified my settings were set to display Movies and Quicktime Movies.
UPDATE 5/15: K-Lite Codec Pack 11.1.5 – May 15th 2015
Install the K-Lite Codec Pack. There are four options you can download: Basic, Standard, Full and Mega.
I downloaded Version 10.3.5 Full ~ 26.6 MB ~ February 27th 2014
After installing and running K-Lite there should be an update to version 10.3.8 Build 20140319 so I installed that too.
Now I was making some progress, but I wasn’t totally satisfied. I could now see the video when playing, but all the thumbnails were still black on the main screen as well as the small view window at the top of the video player.
I decided to see if removing a video from a folder and putting it back in did anything and that did the trick.
So here are the final steps:
- Choose the folder you want to fix.
- Click the “show movies only” icon to hide all photos. (4th under Filters)
- Create a new folder on your Desktop.
- Drag & drop all the movie files from Picasa into the new folder.
- Drag & drop all the same movie files from the Desktop back to Picasa.
- Once that finishes look for a new folder called Desktop(X) in your Picasa folder structure. X being the number of movies.
- Select the Desktop folder and go to Edit > Select All or Ctrl+A.
- Now drag all the movie files from the Desktop folder back to the original folder you removed them from.
Your movies files should now have thumbnails and play inside of Picasa.
I hope this helps.